That shot by Jokic is proof that the league is MANY levels better than it was in the 90s

Talk about anything here.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Re: That shot by Jokic is proof that the league is MANY levels better than it was in the 90s

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:22 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:45 pm TDK, which modern center do you think would be most successful in the 80s through late 90s?

Simply curious which center you think would translate best. Not trolling or trying to cause more arguments.
Today's NBA is nothing like it was back in the 80's/90's/00's, specifically as it relates to the Center position. Back then the Centers played 12-15 feet in, and protected the paint/rim. You just don't see that anymore today because of the way the game has changed... not because Bigs back then weren't capable, but rather, the league/players fell in love with long-ball chuckin', while the short attention span of today's generation of fan made it so that the league felt compelled to change the rules and make the game much more Offensive friendly.

That said, off the top of my head guys like Anthony Davis, Gobert, Adebayo, Sabonis, would fit-in well with the 80's/90's style of play for sure.
They absolutely weren't capable. If they could shoot like modern bigs they would have.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Re: That shot by Jokic is proof that the league is MANY levels better than it was in the 90s

Post by Robceltsfan »

Can you imagine Jokic going up against Bill Cartwright or Luc Longley???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Young Shaq for three......BANG!

lol
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

A center in the 90s makes a 3 pointer (that was complete dogshit form and 100% luck) and the crowd goes crazy! They couldn't believe their eyes!

:haha2:

You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Shaq only made like a total of 7 shots EVER outside of 16 feet.....much less 3-point land.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:06 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:02 pm athletic beasts like Dream, young Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Parish, Jabbar, Moses Malone, etc.
????
Olajuwon was an amazing athlete
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

elmerjfudd wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:56 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:02 pm athletic beasts like Dream, young Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Parish, Jabbar, Moses Malone, etc.
????
He was a very skilled basketball player, but he certainly was not an amazing "athlete" - at least by modern standards.

Dwight Howard is a fairly close comparison as far as height/weight go and there is a gulf in athletic ability between the two.

VS

PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:01 pm

????
He was a very skilled basketball player, but he certainly was not an amazing "athlete" - at least by modern standards.

Dwight Howard is a fairly close comparison as far as height/weight go and there is a gulf in athletic ability between the two.

VS

Embiid reminds me of Dream in some regards to.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

No, Hakeem was a crazy good athlete by any era's standard.

His dexterity, quickness, body control, and reaction time were hyper, hyper high-level (for a big).

It's probably better seen in his defense than offense. Like being able to switch on a pick and roll and *then* get back to his own man, or covering distance quickly on help defense, etc...

He started playing basketball at age 16 (I think), and was making national-level teams in Nigeria in other sports like handball with relatively minimal work. What passed as international scouts saw him playing in Nigeria and immediately fast-tracked him to major D1 programs just on the basis of tournament play in Nigeria, back in an era where there was relatively little going on outside America and a touch in Europe.

I probably played this VHS tape (NBA Superstars) 1000x between ages 7 and 10 or so lol, but it's a good one:

vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:02 pm
Titan18 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm I mean it is a bit funny that a frumpy white dude who hates basketball is embarrassing the league like he is

Weak ass era!

:trumplol:

But that shot was badass. Think it was the first time I saw him happy also lol
It's actually hilarious... a slow plodding, soft, white, non-athletic 7-foot Greg Ostertag looking mongloid is going to dominate all-time great athletic beasts like Dream, young Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Parish, Jabbar, Moses Malone, etc.

It's as if the Boring White Guy Crew is living in some alternate reality or something.

:lol: :roll: :L
Titan is trolling. You, on the other hand, are living in an alternate reality. Plus, you're dumb as a brick.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Hakeem was a great athlete. Probably the best C athletically since Russell and Wilt in the 60s. Like Bush said, it showed more on the defensive end than the offensive end, but his "dream shake" and that baseline jumper were sweet as hell. Still, on the offensive end he was way more limited than Jokic. Defensively, Dream is a top 5 center all time. Russell obviously leads that list. Wilt, when he actually focused on defense was a beast too. He just didn't focus on it often enough.

I think peak Ben Wallace was an extremely underrated defender. He relied on that great athleticism and extremely quick hands for a big man and great anticipation but because his offensive game was obviously limited, he doesn't get enough credit. He was the main reason the Pistons won that ring. Billups got finals MVP, but Ben was 100% the most important guy on that team. Deke was a great defender for his time, but he lacked bulk to deal with Shaq and he got uncomfortable more than ten feet from the bucket. Prime Kareem was a helluva defensive C too, although a little on the frail side as well. The Admiral was also a great defender, but maybe not quite on that level. Others from bygone days that were great defensively would include Nate Thurmond and Artis Gilmore.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Titan18 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm I mean it is a bit funny that a frumpy white dude who hates basketball is embarrassing the league like he is

Weak ass era!

The shot was just ridiculous. He's unbelievable. He's like LeBron for me, I really dislike him but he's so good that I have no choice but to accept and applaud his greatness
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Weak ass era!

Jokic is only called unathletic because he’s white. If he were black than he’d be no different than Moses Malone, Zach Randolph, or even Tim Duncan who wasn’t some ridiculous athlete.
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:04 pm

VS

Embiid is a bit of some of the greatest scorers in nba history. The dude just absorbs the game from the greats and just so happens be one of if not the strongest and biggest players to ever play.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

elmerjfudd wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:51 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:04 pm

VS

Embiid is a bit of some of the greatest scorers in nba history. The dude just absorbs the game from the greats and just so happens be one of if not the strongest and biggest players to ever play.
How blessed are we?

:handsup: