Jameis Winston named to preseason All American Team

Talk about anything here.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Jameis Winston named to preseason All American Team

Post by lettherebehouse »

In baseball.

I confess, I don't follow college baseball outside of a mild interest in seeing some guys from my hometown do well. But, was Winston batting .230 last year with 0 HRs as a utility player, and a pitcher who went 1-2 in spot relief duty worthy of being named to the preseason All American (3rd team) in your most humblest opinions?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... n-baseball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well?
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Re: Jameis Winston named to preseason All American Team

Post by rileymartin »

lettherebehouse wrote:In baseball.

I confess, I don't follow college baseball outside of a mild interest in seeing some guys from my hometown do well. But, was Winston batting .230 last year with 0 HRs as a utility player, and a pitcher who went 1-2 in spot relief duty worthy of being named to the preseason All American (3rd team) in your most humblest opinions?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... n-baseball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well?
I think hype has alot to do with it, but he is slated to be the Seminoles closer this season, and, at the age of 19 he is throwing around 95 mph, with a very good slider and curveball.
The potential is certainly there.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

rileymartin wrote:

Well?
I think hype has alot to do with it, but he is slated to be the Seminoles closer this season, and, at the age of 19 he is throwing around 95 mph, with a very good slider and curveball.
Was this your most humblest opinion?
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

lettherebehouse wrote:
rileymartin wrote:

Well?
That it is mostly hype? Yes.

I have read somewhere that if Winston played baseball exclusively, that he could very well be a first pick in the baseball draft type talent.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

He can go the route another 2-sport FSU Heisman winner went before him and go pro in the sport he'll be mediocre at.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:He can go the route another 2-sport FSU Heisman winner went before him and go pro in the sport he'll be mediocre at.
The difference is, there was still a bit of a stigma with black QB's back when Ward chose basketball.

Winston could very well be the first pick in the NFL draft.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

rileymartin wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote:
rileymartin wrote:

I have read somewhere that if Winston played baseball exclusively, that he could very well be a first pick in the baseball draft type talent.
He's obviously got the physical makeup to be a 5 tool type player, or the arm strength to throw a major league fastball. Aside from that, I have to plead ignorance toward how skilled he is from a mechanics standpoint both as a hitter, and a pitcher, and how well it translates to major league talent.

I've seen flat out studs at the college and minor league level with live arms who can get the ball over home plate in the mid 90MPH range, who are told they don't have what it takes to be a big league pitcher. Without knowing, it's pretty safe to assume whoever claimed Winston could be a "1st overall pick" in the MLB draft is sippin on some serious kool aid.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

lettherebehouse wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote:

He's obviously got the physical makeup to be a 5 tool type player, or the arm strength to throw a major league fastball. Aside from that, I have to plead ignorance toward how skilled he is from a mechanics standpoint both as a hitter, and a pitcher, and how well it translates to major league talent.

I've seen flat out studs at the college and minor league level with live arms who can get the ball over home plate in the mid 90MPH range, who are told they don't have what it takes to be a big league pitcher. Without knowing, it's pretty safe to assume whoever claimed Winston could be a "1st overall pick" in the MLB draft is sippin on some serious kool aid.
Well, I just did some research, and his coach at FSU was the one who said it lol, so he may very well be sipping the Kool aid.

However, the overall consensus seems to be that if Winston was a baseball first player, he would easily be a first rounder.