Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Better defense-85 Bears or 013 Seahawks

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Better defense-85 Bears or 013 Seahawks

Post by lettherebehouse »

Overall speed, size, athleticism, the present day Seahawks are by far the greater defense, who was faced with the much more harder task of shutting down the most potent offensive attack in NFL history, and embarrassed them on the game's biggest stage. Who did the 85 Bears have to shut down in their SB, Steve Grogan or Tony Eason (don't worry, I'll give you a second to google those names lol)?
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

lettherebehouse wrote:Overall speed, size, athleticism, the present day Seahawks are by far the greater defense, who was faced with the much more harder task of shutting down the most potent offensive attack in NFL history, and embarrassed them on the game's biggest stage. Who did the 85 Bears have to shut down in their SB, Steve Grogan or Tony Eason (don't worry, I'll give you a second to google those names lol)?

You are going to upset some posters from the midwest.
jordanzone
constitutionnomore

Post by jordanzone »

'92 Cowboys>>>>>any and all pretenders...
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

lettherebehouse wrote:Overall speed, size, athleticism, the present day Seahawks are by far the greater defense, who was faced with the much more harder task of shutting down the most potent offensive attack in NFL history, and embarrassed them on the game's biggest stage. Who did the 85 Bears have to shut down in their SB, Steve Grogan or Tony Eason (don't worry, I'll give you a second to google those names lol)?
Not only did they whip the top-ranked offense, but they also beat another potent offense and 5,000yd passer in Drew Brees.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

WiseGuy wrote:

You are going to upset some posters from the midwest.
Not my intent. But not even they, are dumb enough to argue against this, aside from maybe a couple nostalgic homer based emotional rants I suspect from one or two of them that'll surely carry little to no substance worth entertaining.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

85 Bears ...

They gave up only 12.3 PPG in the regular season despite facing 6 teams with 10 or more wins (including 5 teams that went to the playoffs)... and then they steamrolled through the playoffs, allowing just 10-points combined in Wins over the Giants, Rams and NE.

That Defense was STACKED with Pro Bowlers and future HOFERS... Singletary, Dent, Hampton, McMichael, Duerson, Marshall, Wilson, Fencik, etc, etc, etc.

To this day I have yet to see a Defense so thoroughly dominate and dismantle the opposition like those 85 Bears... although I will say I was very impressed with Seattle's Defense yesterday.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Only an UNeducated fan would compare two teams that played 30 years apart INSTEAD of comparing those teams to their respective peers.

Put another way, NBA players today are bigger, stronger and more athletic than they were in the 60's; however I don't think you'll find one astute hoops fans who would take Dwight Howard over Russell or Wilt.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

BTW those '85 Patriots were 9th in total offense, not 1st like these Broncos were. They didn't even win their division and had to win 3 road games to reach the SB.

During the season these Seahawks allowed a measly 2ppg more than those Bears did.
Last edited by Havlicekstealsit on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote:85 Bears ...

They gave up only 12.3 PPG in the regular season despite facing 6 teams with 10 or more wins (including 5 teams that went to the playoffs)... and then they steamrolled through the playoffs, allowing just 10-points combined in Wins over the Giants, Rams and NE.

That Defense was STACKED with Pro Bowlers and future HOFERS... Singletary, Dent, Hampton, McMichael, Duerson, Marshall, Wilson, Fencik, etc, etc, etc.

To this day I have yet to see a Defense so thoroughly dominate and dismantle the opposition like those 85 Bears... although I will say I was very impressed with Seattle's Defense yesterday.
While it pains me to agree with TDK since he is an absolutely brutal homer, in this case, he is correct. That defense was just incredible. It's obviously hard to compare across eras for a number of reasons, but that defense was as dominating as any I've ever witnessed in my lifetime.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Havlicekstealsit wrote:BTW those '85 Patriots were 9th in total offense, not 1st like these Broncos were. They didn't even win their division and had to win 3 road games to reach the SB.

During the season these Seahawks allowed a measly 2ppg more than those Bears did.

I'm not ripping on the Seahawks, they have a very impressive Defense. On the contrary I'm taking the entire SEASON into consideration, not just 1 game... otherwise the thread would read "better Super Bowl Defense".

lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

thedangerouskitchen wrote:

Only an UNeducated fan would compare two teams that played 30 years apart INSTEAD of comparing those teams to their respective peers.

Put another way, NBA players today are bigger, stronger and more athletic than they were in the 60's; however I don't think you'll find one astute hoops fans who would take Dwight Howard over Russell or Wilt.
No, overall better defense means exactly that. Who was the better overall defense as is, without regard to the average median level QB in the field of their respective eras. The sophistication in playcalling and formations in today's NFL along with the influx of dynamic playmaking QBs and unparalleled athleticism who now force defenses to defend sideline to sideline as well as the vertical points of the game. It's far more difficult to dominate your field defensively today than it's ever been, in any era. Yet the Seahawks have done it, as ferociously, and versus far better offenses than the 85 Bears ever faced.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

lettherebehouse wrote:

No, overall better defense means exactly that. Who was the better "overall" defense as is, without regard to the average median level QB in the field of their respective eras. The sophistication in playcalling and formations in today's NFL along with the influx of dynamic playmaking QBs and unparalleled athleticism who now force defenses to defend sideline to sideline as well as the vertical points of the game. It's far more difficult to dominate your field defensively today than it's ever been, in any era. Yet the Seahawks have done it, as ferociously, and versus far better offenses than the 85 Bears ever faced.

Fine...

"Overall" the 85 Bears allowed fewer PPG (regular season and playoffs) than the 2013 Seahawks.

85 Bears Defense ---> 2013 Seahawks Defense.

//thread

lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

lettherebehouse wrote:

No, overall better defense means exactly that. Who was the better "overall" defense as is, without regard to the average median level QB in the field of their respective eras. The sophistication in playcalling and formations in today's NFL along with the influx of dynamic playmaking QBs and unparalleled athleticism who now force defenses to defend sideline to sideline as well as the vertical points of the game. It's far more difficult to dominate your field defensively today than it's ever been, in any era. Yet the Seahawks have done it, as ferociously, and versus far better offenses than the 85 Bears ever faced.

Fine...

"Overall" the 85 Bears allowed fewer PPG (regular season and playoffs) than the 2013 Seahawks.

//thread
Against inferior competition

//thread
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Wait... TDK thinks a Chicago team is better? Color me surprised.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Kingcarl24 wrote:Wait... TDK thinks a Chicago team is better? Color me surprised.
Even a blind squirrel finds the odd acorn.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

lettherebehouse wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote: No, overall better defense means exactly that. Who was the better "overall" defense as is, without regard to the average median level QB in the field of their respective eras. The sophistication in playcalling and formations in today's NFL along with the influx of dynamic playmaking QBs and unparalleled athleticism who now force defenses to defend sideline to sideline as well as the vertical points of the game. It's far more difficult to dominate your field defensively today than it's ever been, in any era. Yet the Seahawks have done it, as ferociously, and versus far better offenses than the 85 Bears ever faced.

Fine...

//thread
Against inferior competition

//thread

Prove it...

kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

TDK is the same guy who refers to Jay Cutler as "Mr. Clutch" and forgot that the Bears and Vikings play in the same division... you might as well be talking to Artman about football.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

kobeunderbite wrote:TDK is the same guy who refers to Jay Cutler as "Mr. Clutch" and forgot that the Bears and Vikings play in the same division... you might as well be talking to Artman about football.

Your sissy city doesn't even have a football team so you should avoid these discussions at all costs...

kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

kobeunderbite wrote:TDK is the same guy who refers to Jay Cutler as "Mr. Clutch" and forgot that the Bears and Vikings play in the same division... you might as well be talking to Artman about football.

Your sissy city doesn't even have a football team so you should avoid these discussions at all costs...

My city has two football teams, and my state has three, but okay.