Are these debates necessary?

Talk about anything here.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Are these debates necessary?

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

americaninfidel wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Macrotus wrote:No...we see the same shit here daily....:-)

There is truth here.

Trump and Artism use the same style of trolling... the "I'm rubber and glue approach" and "I know you are but what am I?" first popularized on our elementary school playgrounds.

- You're fat!
"No. I'm the most in shape person here. You're the fat one."

- You lie!
"Wrong. I'm the most honest person ever. You're the liar."

________

The thing is... it works. It's such a silly way to talk to people, but it works. Almost every time. Now, before people get too bent out of shape here with this comparison... (1) it's absolutely true. (2) I'm not explicitly comparing Trump — the very wealthy and successful businessman and politician who has proven to have banged a lot of women and has a large, devoted following of adoring fans... with Artman — the guy renting a rundown house with indoor/outdoor artificial turf on the porch who has no family, apparently few friends and is universally disliked and mocked.

Only that they argue in very similar ways. This shouldn't be a revelation for anybody. Trump is a gifted troll... as is Artism in his own way.

[Note: I'm also not suggesting Trump has autism like Artman has.]
Trump is also undoubtedly a better painter.

Very likely. I heard a tv show recently used one of Trump's paintings in the background. They paid him $501.00 per day.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
americaninfidel wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

There is truth here.

Trump and Artism use the same style of trolling... the "I'm rubber and glue approach" and "I know you are but what am I?" first popularized on our elementary school playgrounds.

- You're fat!

- You lie!

________

The thing is... it works. It's such a silly way to talk to people, but it works. Almost every time. Now, before people get too bent out of shape here with this comparison... (1) it's absolutely true. (2) I'm not explicitly comparing Trump — the very wealthy and successful businessman and politician who has proven to have banged a lot of women and has a large, devoted following of adoring fans... with Artman — the guy renting a rundown house with indoor/outdoor artificial turf on the porch who has no family, apparently few friends and is universally disliked and mocked.

Only that they argue in very similar ways. This shouldn't be a revelation for anybody. Trump is a gifted troll... as is Artism in his own way.

Trump is also undoubtedly a better painter.

Very likely. I heard a tv show recently used one of Trump's paintings in the background. They paid him $501.00 per day.
I heard it was $301 to $501 but your point remains.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Max. wrote:
zombiesonics wrote:Debates were never necessary. It was always just political theater.
I think they were super necessary back in the day. Social media and the internet in general has changed that IMO.
phpBB [video]
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

zombiesonics wrote:
Max. wrote:
zombiesonics wrote:Debates were never necessary. It was always just political theater.
I think they were super necessary back in the day. Social media and the internet in general has changed that IMO.
phpBB [video]

Furthermore, either to support his take... or refute it... today's election doesn't exactly include "serious men" running for high political office. For good or bad... Trump is not a "serious man" in the way Postman was describing politicians 35 years ago.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

There should be more debates just in a general sense, not even relating to this or any election. Trump and AOC should debate, Pelosi and McConnell should debate, T.Carlson and D.Lemon should debate. Who doesn't like a good debate?
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

:arodlaugh:
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I would prefer a two-hour Joe Rogan (yes, Joe Rogan) podcast with each serious candidate to what people call "debates" (they aren't really debates, they are closer to forums than proper debates, even taking into account the silliness of politicians).

Ron Paul had a nice session at Google way back in the day, and Rogan's podcast with Tulsi was great.

There just isn't enough time to seriously parse through most political issues.

Jake Tapper is such an obvious liar. My research colleagues in Cali are like this. If anything happened it was almost certainly a result of the adults in the room layering the child with fear and manufactured drama/stress.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Bush4Ever. wrote:I would prefer a two-hour Joe Rogan (yes, Joe Rogan) podcast with each serious candidate to what people call "debates" (they aren't really debates, they are closer to forums than proper debates, even taking into account the silliness of politicians).

Ron Paul had a nice session at Google way back in the day, and Rogan's podcast with Tulsi was great.

There just isn't enough time to seriously parse through most political issues.

Jake Tapper is such an obvious liar. My research colleagues in Cali are like this. If anything happened it was almost certainly a result of the adults in the room layering the child with fear and manufactured drama/stress.

How do you deal with the leftist dogma in the education/research world? Do you pretend to not be conservative or do you go conservative-lite without revealing your true power level?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

kobeunderbite wrote:

:L
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

kobeunderbite wrote: :arodlaugh:

From the comments section

You might want to check on your 6th grader before Biden does.

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

kobeunderbite wrote:
How do you deal with the leftist dogma in the education/research world? Do you pretend to not be conservative or do you go conservative-lite without revealing your true power level?
It's not a huge deal in my field on a professional level in terms of research, which is relatively apolitical. In larger projects, I'm pretty much always the nuts-and-bolts technical guy so it's not really anything to take a political stance on anyway. Nothing at all in terms of teaching when I do teach because I'm always teaching technical nuts-and-bolts stats/math material.

It mostly comes up on professional outings/social hours/lunches and those type of things, which reveals how they think and see the world more generally. At those I mostly try and talk to some of IT people who are relatively normal or just listen to the philosopher king ramblings. Honestly, even outside politics I don't have much in common with these people. They go to the theater and opera and watch films (not movies...films). I go to MMA fights and watch My Little Pony or Thundercats on YouTube.

Academia is such an incestuous world when it comes to political thinking in regular life. As long as it doesn't bleed into the actual science and consulting we/I do, I can tolerate it. If it got to the point where it was impacting those things, I'd just leave and get back to the private sector again.
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

kobeunderbite wrote: :arodlaugh:
How ridiculous.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Macrotus wrote:No...we see the same shit here daily....:-)

There is truth here.

- You're fat!

- You lie!

________

Artie for PRESIDENT!!
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Post by Uncontroversial »

UNC MJ FAN. wrote:I didnt know they were airing the debates on the Disney channel :noidea: so sorry to interrupt your programming, OP :lol:
Wpoy
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

In its current format, no. If I wanted to hear three babies (moderator included) trying to holler over one another I'd go swing by an elementary school recess. I'd put it on the radio and give the moderator mute buttons when a candidate keeps 'spergin' & interrupting.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:In its current format, no. If I wanted to hear three babies (moderator included) trying to holler over one another I'd go swing by an elementary school recess. I'd put it on the radio and give the moderator mute buttons when a candidate keeps 'spergin' & interrupting.

I was sort of surprised Wallace didn't try to call for an intermission or something to get it back on track.

But I don't think all three men deserve equal blame for the shitshow.

Trump initiated it. It was definitely a concerted strategy in an attempt to rile Biden. It worked a bit... but it didn't get that smoking gun moment he may have thought it would get. And I thought it would get...

It was pretty obvious that the bait was there... but that Trump wasn't quite able to set the hook last night. But it's still dangling in the water. And he's gonna try again. How many times can Old Man Joe flirt with disaster before gulping it whole? Maybe next time, Trump will call Biden's current wife or dead wife a whore to get him or something.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »