Gale Sayers dead at 77

Talk about anything here.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Gale Sayers dead at 77

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Youngest player ever inducted into Canton. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/299 ... ies-age-77" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :cry:

"Who?"
~ Sadmesss
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Re: Gale Sayers dead at 77

Post by Kingcarl24 »

"Who?"

~Kingcarl24
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Kingcarl24 wrote:"Who?"

~Kingcarl24
You never saw this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian%27s_Song" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

~Kingcarl24
Too bad you missed him. He was worth the price of admission. My own recollections are fuzzy, but my dad raved about him.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:

~Kingcarl24
You never saw this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian%27s_Song" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No. :noidea:
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

He's one of those guys I already assumed was dead....as I never see any interviews with him or public TV appearances. RIP.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
Havlicekstealsit wrote:

~Kingcarl24

Obviously, I've heard of Gale Sayers. (I'm not a uneducated cretin like Karl for chrissakes). And I've heard about the sappy movie many many times.

Never had any desire to watch it though.

-----

A quick glance at his stats shows a lot of "you had to have seen him to appreciate him" vibes... sorta Bo Jackson-ish.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... yeGa00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Havlicekstealsit wrote:

Obviously, I've heard of Gale Sayers. (I'm not a uneducated cretin like Karl for chrissakes). And I've heard about the sappy movie many many times.

-----

A quick glance at his stats shows a lot of "you had to have seen him to appreciate him" vibes...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... yeGa00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It took till this post to realize it wasn't a girl we were talking about. lol.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

-----

A quick glance at his stats shows a lot of "you had to have seen him to appreciate him" vibes...

Did your NFL knowledge begin with Richard Sherman or something? At least tell me you know who Kenny Easley and Steve Largent are...
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

-----

Did your NFL knowledge begin with Richard Sherman or something? At least tell me you know who Kenny Easley and Steve Largent are...
I had a Steve Largent poster on my wall as a kid. I don't really deep dive into history of sports though.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
denali4eva
Queen Bee

Post by denali4eva »

Brian's Song, great movie (sad) :(

RIP Gayle Sayers
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

RIP to a Chicago Bears legend... before my time, but many in-the-know will tell you he would have gone down as the greatest RB in NFL history if not for the injuries.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

manchild98 wrote:He's one of those guys I already assumed was dead....as I never see any interviews with him or public TV appearances. RIP.
I had the same reaction when I heard.

Still, RIP.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

I don’t know how you’re a football fan and don’t know who gale sayers is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote:RIP to a Chicago Bears legend... before my time, but many in-the-know will tell you he would have gone down as the greatest RB in NFL history if not for the injuries.
No. May he RIP, but let's leave out over the top hyperbole. I know anything Chicago triggers you, but no.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

elmerjfudd wrote:I don’t know how you’re a football fan and don’t know who gale sayers is.

Yea he’s as household of a name as it gets. Never seen the movie, but Sayers names comes up in any conversation when comparing running backs to the G.O.A.T, OJ Simpson.

I’d compare a football fan not hearing of Gale Sayers to NBA fans never hearing of Oscar Robertson.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

lettherebehouse wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:I don’t know how you’re a football fan and don’t know who gale sayers is.

Yea he’s as household of a name as it gets. Never seen the movie, but Sayers names comes up in any conversation when comparing running backs to the G.O.A.T, OJ Simpson.

I’d compare a football fan not hearing of Gale Sayers to NBA fans never hearing of Oscar Robertson.
You misspelled Jim Brown. OJ was a "nice" running back.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote:

You misspelled Jim Brown. OJ was a "nice" running back.

Interestingly... Brown's final season overlapped Sayers' rookie season.

Brown: 1,544 yards / 5.3 avg / 21 total TDs
Sayers: 867 yards / 5.2 avg / 20 total TDs

It was a career high for both in TDs... Sayers never got above 10 TDs the rest of his career. And topped out at 1,231 rushing yards.
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Post by Uncontroversial »

I literally don’t give a shit
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser