Terry Bradshaw doesn't think Tom Brady is the GOAT QB

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Re: Terry Bradshaw doesn't think Tom Brady is the GOAT QB

Post by Bush4Ever. »

It's possible to play under a more generous rule set and also be a better quarterback in your independent right.

If went and played 5th grade girls basketball, and there was a rule that doubled the points of all players with a penis, I would have a rule advantage in my favor, and also be the best player on the court independent of that (most of time, anyway).
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

Bush4Ever. wrote:It's possible to play under a more generous rule set and also be a better quarterback in your independent right.

If went and played 5th grade girls basketball, and there was a rule that doubled the points of all players with a penis, I would have a rule advantage in my favor, and also be the best player on the court independent of that (most of time, anyway).
Maybe, but my belief is, if Brady played under the same rules that Montana did, he simply wouldn't be playing at as high a level this late into his career...And, conversely, if Montana played under todays rules (Especially under a genius like Walsh, much the same way Brady plays under Belichek) he would have AT LEAST 6 Superbowls, and probably even more...
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

rileymartin wrote:
Maybe, but my belief is, if Brady played under the same rules that Montana did, he simply wouldn't be playing at as high a level this late into his career...And, conversely, if Montana played under todays rules (Especially under a genius like Walsh, much the same way Brady plays under Belichek) he would have AT LEAST 6 Superbowls, and probably even more...
If you want to try and do that type of mental curving, you need to curve everything different between eras, not just a small selection of things.

How that plays out here, I don't know.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

Bush4Ever. wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
If you want to try and do that type of mental curving, you need to curve everything different between eras, not just a small selection of things.

How that plays out here, I don't know.
The curve relatively speaking from Sammy Baugh's era is much, much bigger than the one from Montana to Brady...I think the 80's was the golden age for the NFL, especially from a brutality standpoint...I have zero doubt that outside of maybe offensive linemen being smaller, the athletes of the 80's would fit into today's NFL with little trouble.
As a matter of fact, other than those lineman, the game was played by tougher and better football players in Montana's time...In my opinion...
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

rileymartin wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:
rileymartin wrote:Joe Montana is the greatest QB ever, and because of the rule changes, he will NEVER be knocked off that perch...
So Pat Mahomes wins 10 straight SBs and multiple MVPs. He's not the new GOAT?

Why does it have to be an absolute with Montana's GOAT status? You aren't willing to envision a scenario where a QB can surpass his greatness? I don't have an issue with those saying Montana is the GOAT, but I don't believe anyone's status as the greatest can't be beaten by another resume eventually.

You really believe the rules are that much of a factor? Sure, they're more protected and as a result the passing yards are higher today than ever, but that's enough to say nobody can beat Montana?

Assuming that's what you believe, I personally disagree.
Back in Montanas day, you could still take 2 steps and tee off on a QB after they released the ball...And, you could launch yourself and lead with the helmet...Additionally, you could head hunt WR's, and you could slobberknock defenseless recievers, which is why very few WR's would go over the middle...
So the protection of QB's along with the protection of WR's plays a HUGE part...No chance that Brady would be playing into his 40's, or Brees under the old rules....
And, to your point about Mahomes...Winning 10 superbowls is unrealistic, and even if he did, it again would have more to do with the fact that he would have to be doing it into his 40's to get there...
If Joe montana and his WR's had the same protections they have today, he would have easily won at least 6 Superbowls...Most accurate passer of all time...
I’m an enormous Montana fan, and he would be my choice if I had to pick a QB to win a game for me.

The rule changes really have made it meaningless to compare statistics in a “apples-to-apples” sense— all we can do is measure guys against the players in their own respective eras.

You are absolutely right about the disadvantages Montana had relative to modern QBs. That said, to be totally fair— and to play devil’s advocate a bit— Montana played in the pre-salary cap era for an owner that spared NO expense— several of those 49er teams were STACKED.

In addition, there’s a reason why the Walsh coaching tree has been so wildly successful. The 49ers were running an offense generations ahead of its time, and most defenses simply were not equipped to defend them (interestingly enough, the defenses that gave them the most trouble were those NY Giants squads with LT piloted by Bill Belichick). Entering into the ‘89 Super Bowl, the Broncos had the #1 defense in the league statistically, and the Niners hung 55 on them.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

rtiff68 wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote: So Pat Mahomes wins 10 straight SBs and multiple MVPs. He's not the new GOAT?

Why does it have to be an absolute with Montana's GOAT status? You aren't willing to envision a scenario where a QB can surpass his greatness? I don't have an issue with those saying Montana is the GOAT, but I don't believe anyone's status as the greatest can't be beaten by another resume eventually.

You really believe the rules are that much of a factor? Sure, they're more protected and as a result the passing yards are higher today than ever, but that's enough to say nobody can beat Montana?

Assuming that's what you believe, I personally disagree.
Back in Montanas day, you could still take 2 steps and tee off on a QB after they released the ball...And, you could launch yourself and lead with the helmet...Additionally, you could head hunt WR's, and you could slobberknock defenseless recievers, which is why very few WR's would go over the middle...
So the protection of QB's along with the protection of WR's plays a HUGE part...No chance that Brady would be playing into his 40's, or Brees under the old rules....
And, to your point about Mahomes...Winning 10 superbowls is unrealistic, and even if he did, it again would have more to do with the fact that he would have to be doing it into his 40's to get there...
If Joe montana and his WR's had the same protections they have today, he would have easily won at least 6 Superbowls...Most accurate passer of all time...
I’m an enormous Montana fan, and he would be my choice if I had to pick a QB to win a game for me.

The rule changes really have made it meaningless to compare statistics in a “apples-to-apples” sense— all we can do is measure guys against the players in their own respective eras.

You are absolutely right about the disadvantages Montana had relative to modern QBs. That said, to be totally fair— and to play devil’s advocate a bit— Montana played in the pre-salary cap era for an owner that spared NO expense— several of those 49er teams were STACKED.

In addition, there’s a reason why the Walsh coaching tree has been so wildly successful. The 49ers were running an offense generations ahead of its time, and most defenses simply were not equipped to defend them (interestingly enough, the defenses that gave them the most trouble were those NY Giants squads with LT piloted by Bill Belichick). Entering into the ‘89 Super Bowl, the Broncos had the #1 defense in the league statistically, and the Niners hung 55 on them.
The AFC was an absolute joke in 89...The Broncos were the only double digit win team as opposed to NFC which had 7 teams with double digit wins...
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

rileymartin wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
rileymartin wrote:

The AFC was an absolute joke in 89...The Broncos were the only double digit win team as opposed to NFC which had 7 teams with double digit wins...
True, but the Broncos weren’t the only team they completely overwhelmed that postseason. They steamrolled the NFC enroute to that Super Bowl (41-13 over the Vikings, 30-3 over the Rams).

One thing we’ll never know about modern QBs is what kind of “chin” they have. If Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, etc. got absolutely BLASTED 4 times in the 1st half, would they come out in the 2nd half the exact same? Hanging in and stepping into the pocket?

We’ll never know...
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

rtiff68 wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:

True, but the Broncos weren’t the only team they completely overwhelmed that postseason. They steamrolled the NFC enroute to that Super Bowl (41-13 over the Vikings, 30-3 over the Rams).

One thing we’ll never know about modern QBs is what kind of “chin” they have. If Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, etc. got absolutely BLASTED 4 times in the 1st half, would they come out in the 2nd half the exact same? Hanging in and stepping into the pocket?

We’ll never know...
Drew Brees is 41, and Tom Brady will be 43 before the season starts...Forget about 1 half of getting blasted...Would they still even be playing right now if they spent their entire career getting blasted? Not a chance in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong, Brady is one of the greatest to ever do it no doubt. But, Montana is the most accurate and the most clutch QB in history in my opinion, and if he didn't have to take the beatings ALL QB's had to take back in the 80, AND, if the middle of the field was available to him the way it is now for Tom Brady, I shutter to think of what he would have done...
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

GOAT Tom Brady triggers so many people.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

elmerjfudd wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:He’s somewhat right but Brady is better than Montana

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Who is your GOAT QB?
Either Unitas or Manning but both will be surpassed by MAGOAT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He was one of the best to ever do it in the regular season. I’ll give ya that.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

PhutureDynasty wrote:This may sound stupid but his performance against the Eagles in the SB 3 years ago is actually a positive in his career. Yea the win would have helped more, but look at his stats in that game.

28-48 with 505 yards and 3 passing touchdowns. That loss wasn't on Brady. He showed up.
Let’s not forget he lost Brandin Cooks early in that game as well.

P.S. Brandin Cooks might be traded 10 times before his career is over
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

gaskill15 wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:This may sound stupid but his performance against the Eagles in the SB 3 years ago is actually a positive in his career. Yea the win would have helped more, but look at his stats in that game.

28-48 with 505 yards and 3 passing touchdowns. That loss wasn't on Brady. He showed up.
Let’s not forget he lost Brandin Cooks early in that game as well.

P.S. Brandin Cooks might be traded 10 times before his career is over
Oh I haven't forgotten about that Cooks play. I never will. :)

And yea, how dumb is the Hopkins trade now that they essentially used that second rounder to take Cooks while losing at worst the 2nd best receiver in the league (debatable with Michael Thomas IMO)?

Bill O'Brien... :L

Obviously, as a Titans fan, you're probably exuberant that they did that lol.