Jeff Van Gundy predicts NBA will cancel rest of season

Talk about anything here.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Jeff Van Gundy predicts NBA will cancel rest of season

Post by kobeunderbite »

Kirk Herbstreit sent waves through college football when he predicted the upcoming season will be canceled due to coronavirus.

Now, NBA analyst Jeff Van Gundy is sharing a similar assessment of the sport he covers.

Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe:

He doesn’t believe the 2019-20 season will resume.

“I understand how you can start again, but what’s the plan if the next person gets sick, like another Rudy Gobert-type of situation, we’re going to play through it? We’re going to cancel it again? That to me is why I don’t see any of these things taking place.

“I have no idea how they can pull off the season, and I have no idea what’s going to happen, and I hope next season isn’t impacted.”

Van Gundy is spot-on with his warning about another sick person. Can the NBA effectively test players, coaches, referees, etc. then keep them isolated? Until a vaccine is available, that’s practically essential. A single case of coronavirus would undermine the entire operation.

Holding games in one location would reduce risk. It wouldn’t eliminate risk.

Remember, the NBA planned to continue games (without fans present) until Gobert’s positive test necessitated a shutdown. Controlling coronavirus is far easier said than done.

I don’t share Van Gundy’s concern about next being impacted, though.

Next season will likely be impacted. Multiple future seasons could be impacted.

That’s worth the tradeoff.

The NBA is approaching its playoffs – the most lucrative and compelling portion of the season. It’d be a mistake to throw away the postseason just to keep future regular seasons on track.

After all, haven’t we spent the last year discussing declining interest in the regular season? A shorter regular season next season would be a perfectly acceptable tradeoff in order to hold this season’s playoffs. Heck, the NBA could shorten multiple upcoming regular seasons as it phases back toward a normal calendar.

Van Gundy is right to express caution about resuming play. The NBA shouldn’t restart anytime soon. But no matter when it’s safe to hold games again, the league should finish the season. Figure out future seasons from there.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Re: Jeff Van Gundy predicts NBA will cancel rest of season

Post by CleveTown™ »

he's right.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

And Jay Williams thinks they should hold the playoffs on freakin cruise ships. To paraphrase Dr. Fauci, you (the league in this case) don't get to choose the date you hope you can get back to normal -- the virus will choose.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Let's just infect everyone and get it over with.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:Let's just infect everyone and get it over with.

That’s pretty much where I’m at
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

We're going to be without live sports for at least 6 months
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

I just don't see a path to having sports this year. Supposedly a vaccine won't be available until early next year. Once we're allowed to go back in public in greater numbers it will flare up again after a couple weeks. If a player tests positive then the rest of the team and potentially other teams they just played will have to quarantine for a few weeks.

I just don't see how sports starts again this year with this garbage still out there. ...unless one of these remedies they are currently trying is an absolute cure.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

manchild98 wrote:I just don't see a path to having sports this year. Supposedly a vaccine won't be available until early next year. Once we're allowed to go back in public in greater numbers it will flare up again after a couple weeks. If a player tests positive then the rest of the team and potentially other teams they just played will have to quarantine for a few weeks.

I just don't see how sports starts again this year with this garbage still out there. ...unless one of these remedies they are currently trying is an absolute cure.

I think we’ll have a football season. The return of this virus in the fall is predicted to have very little impact according to Fauci.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsand ... 68a02ae39b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Possibly not having a baseball season is bad enough. If college/pro football are cancelled I might cry.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

gaskill15 wrote:Possibly not having a baseball season is bad enough. If college/pro football are cancelled I might cry.
This but the reverse
kennethgriffin24
Banned User
Banned User

Post by kennethgriffin24 »

unless they plan on locking every player/ref/person involved in the game into isolated quarantine lock down after every game then this won't work. and they'd all have to stay in the same city ready to play each game one after another like a summer league system... it would be only a matter of time before someone caught it. and they'd have to test before every single game. players getting that shit shoved up their nose all the way to the back of their nasal passage getting scraped nonstop. then the minute one person tested positive they would have to shut down the league for another 2 weeks and monitor everyone... especially if they're all playing in the same gym. then everyone comes in contact with the same shit. its a retarded idea to even attempt to resume the season until theres a vaccine
Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP ( 29ppg/8rpg/4apg/2spg ) higher EFG% than Jordan 96 and 98 finals
Kevin
All-Star

Post by Kevin »

kobeunderbite wrote:
gaskill15 wrote:Possibly not having a baseball season is bad enough. If college/pro football are cancelled I might cry.
This but the reverse
I’m with you.
kennethgriffin24
Banned User
Banned User

Post by kennethgriffin24 »

Madnessssss wrote:Costs Giannis a ring
he was having the greatest individual season of all time in terms of performance and record. its crazy that anyone suggested lebron was mvp lol
Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP ( 29ppg/8rpg/4apg/2spg ) higher EFG% than Jordan 96 and 98 finals