Can Kevin Love still help a contender?

Talk about anything here.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Can Kevin Love still help a contender?

Post by FPL »

He looks healthy and is putting up his normal numbers (second best TS% of his career after 18). Does he have enough left in the tank to put someone over the top?

Any other stars you guys are expecting to be moved?
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Re: Can Kevin Love still help a contender?

Post by rileymartin »

Kevin Love would be a perfect fit next to Bam in Miami's frontcourt right now...

Unfortunately, the three years and 90 million owed to him after this season is tough to take on...
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Portland not doing all they can to get him is really strange to me. He seems like he’s the perfect fit to what they need right now.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

The contract is an anvil, and the fact he has put up good numbers on absolutely awful teams and his career won/loss is just sooooo awful without LeBron that I'd be very leery.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:The contract is an anvil, and the fact he has put up good numbers on absolutely awful teams and his career won/loss is just sooooo awful without LeBron that I'd be very leery.
He's a #3 option role player at best....he proved that with Kyrie and Lebron in Cleveland. Great on the boards, decent enough offensively to help spread the floor....but nowhere near worthy of 30 mil a year.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Love has never been the same player since "LeBron Ball" turned him into a role-player, but even still, he's got the skills to be an asset to any contender.

((PS: Anyone who thinks he wouldn't have an impact on a contending team because he put up superstar numbers on non-contending teams should probably stop discussing basketball.))
Last edited by thedangerouskitchen on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote:Love has never been the same player since "LeBron Ball" turned him into a role-player, but even still, he's got the skills to be an asset to any contender.

((PS: Anyone who thinks he wouldn't have a impact on a contending team because he put up superstar numbers on non-contending teams should probably stop discussing basketball.))
Love had a 4-year stretch where he averaged 24/14 while missing 105 games and his team accumulating a record of 114-198 with zero playoff appearances.

I wouldn't exactly call that a "superstar" stretch of basketball, but then again, my life hasn't been ruined by Lebron James like yours has.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Robceltsfan wrote:
thedangerouskitchen wrote:Love has never been the same player since "LeBron Ball" turned him into a role-player, but even still, he's got the skills to be an asset to any contender.

((PS: Anyone who thinks he wouldn't have a impact on a contending team because he put up superstar numbers on non-contending teams should probably stop discussing basketball.))
Love had a 4-year stretch where he averaged 24/14 while missing 105 games and his team accumulating a record of 114-198 with zero playoff appearances.

I wouldn't exactly call that a "superstar" stretch of basketball, but then again, my life hasn't been ruined by Lebron James like yours has.
Love in 4 seasons as a Starter (pre LeChump) averaged 23.5 / 13.7 / 3 / 45% / 37% / 82%... and that's on shitty teams where the opposing Defense's primary focus was on Love.

He averaged 26 / 12.5 / 4.4 / 46% / 38% / 82% the year before joining the Cavs... but yeah, the fact that the T'Wolves had shitty "team" records was clearly due to Love.

Dumbski... :roll: :L
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Love was a Superstar before going to Cleveland?

:haha2:

LDS
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

TDK literally listed almost the same stats I did in the very post after mine.

Yikes...

~George Carlin~
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

ROFL at the LeBron dick-lickers pretending like 26 / 12.5 / 4.4 / 46% / 38% / 82% does not = superstar numbers.

:arodlaugh:

Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

I don't think any contenders will pick him up unless they suffer a major injury to their 4's nearing the trade deadline, but I can see one of these 5-9 seeds looking to solidify their PO spot picking him up by then, like the Blazers, Spurs, or Nets. Obviously we need to see who can afford that contract first.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

I'm always leery of guys who put up great numbers on shitty teams over a long stretch without winning much.

Let's use two classic examples from the Grizzlies. Shareef Abdur Rahim and Pau Gasol.

They put up very similar numbers at different times for the Grizzlies. Shareef had slightly better numbers if you just look at points and boards, peaking out a little higher in both categories than Pau did, but it's splitting hairs. The numbers were very close.

The big difference was Pau really helped you win games. He played with equally crappy supporting casts as Shareef but managed to win 50 games and drag some sorry ass teams to the playoffs three times. He was smarter offensively, was less of a black hole with the ball, a better defender and passer etc... He impacted wins positively. Shareef was just the opposite. He got his, but he was a ball stopper, couldn't pass out of the double team to save his life, and could never be counted on when defenses tightened up late in games. He was a poorer defender who was too slow for quick 3s and not strong enough for the average PFs in the league. His stats were pure fool's gold while Pau's stats understated his great overall ability. Shareef was leading teams to 20 wins a year in his "good" years on the Grizzlies.

A lot of people who didn't watch much Grizzlies thought Shareef was all that and a bag of chips because of the 20 and 10. He sucked and was exposed after he left. He just couldn't help you win. Good players will "check out" sometimes on lousy teams and that's understandable. But if a guy consistently puts up the big numbers but never wins, be very, very leery.

Somewhat ironic that the Grizz traded Shareef for the pick that ended up being Pau.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:I'm always leery of guys who put up great numbers on shitty teams over a long stretch without winning much.

Let's use two classic examples from the Grizzlies. Shareef Abdur Rahim and Pau Gasol.

They put up very similar numbers at different times for the Grizzlies. Shareef had slightly better numbers if you just look at points and boards, peaking out a little higher in both categories than Pau did, but it's splitting hairs. The numbers were very close.

The big difference was Pau really helped you win games. He played with equally crappy supporting casts as Shareef but managed to win 50 games and drag some sorry ass teams to the playoffs three times. He was smarter offensively, was less of a black hole with the ball, a better defender and passer etc... He impacted wins positively. Shareef was just the opposite. He got his, but he was a ball stopper, couldn't pass out of the double team to save his life, and could never be counted on when defenses tightened up late in games. He was a poorer defender who was too slow for quick 3s and not strong enough for the average PFs in the league. His stats were pure fool's gold while Pau's stats understated his great overall ability. Shareef was leading teams to 20 wins a year in his "good" years on the Grizzlies.

A lot of people who didn't watch much Grizzlies thought Shareef was all that and a bag of chips because of the 20 and 10. He sucked and was exposed after he left. He just couldn't help you win. Good players will "check out" sometimes on lousy teams and that's understandable. But if a guy consistently puts up the big numbers but never wins, be very, very leery.

Somewhat ironic that the Grizz traded Shareef for the pick that ended up being Pau.

Demarcus Cousins is a great example. Five year stretch....25/12 average....ZERO playoff games played.

~George Carlin~
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

No.

What teams would have to give up for him wouldn’t offset what he’d bring to the table.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

LNS wrote:No.

What teams would have to give up for him wouldn’t offset what he’d bring to the table.

Portland needs a win now mentality. This is the time for it and Melo isn’t the one to push you over the top.
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

It's not like they gave up anyone for Melo they can still make the deal if they want to. That said I don't think love gets them close to being over, they're at best Utah with love

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Never say never, but I don’t think so.

Generally speaking, the types of guys who are typically most helpful to contenders are guys who are very-good-to-elite at at LEAST one thing.

Love is a decent 3pt shooter, but he’s not a shooter who you run plays for. He puts up good defensive rebounding statistics, but is that enough to off-set the fact that he’s a defensive liability against basically anyone? He’s not great at any one thing, and he’s very poor at some things— I don’t think the moderate positives he brings are worth the liabilities that he creates.
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

FPL wrote:He looks healthy and is putting up his normal numbers (second best TS% of his career after 18). Does he have enough left in the tank to put someone over the top?

Any other stars you guys are expecting to be moved?
No he cracks under pressure. His brain is fried from the Marijuana and now whatever psych drug he is on