Hubble: First Water Detected on Planet in the Habitable Zone

Talk about anything here.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Re: Hubble: First Water Detected on Planet in the Habitable Zone

Post by Robceltsfan »

UNC MJ FAN. wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:Here's a pretty graph to look at if any of my numbers or words confused you.
What you fail to realize is that as technology improves objectives like complex space missions become more efficient requiring less budget. The spike in this graph occurred in the 50s and 60s at the space program's infancy stages and beginning. Hearts minds and money were poured in to defeat Russia's and other international space programs.

For example, as this concept, well, it may confuse you. But it costs less today by today's capital standards to build a Kia sorento than it did in the 70s to build a Ford T bird although the Kia would have more horsepower compared to a 70s engine.

#Throbbed!
So what's for lunch today, Abdul?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Robceltsfan wrote:

You're moving the goal posts now. Nobody is trying to justify anything.

I personally think space exploration is an important aspect of furthering our technology and potentially furthering our resources. So I'm fine with money being dumped into the space program. But to say that more money wouldn't equal more "effort" is silly at best. More money would equal more scientists, more experimentation, more missions, more explorations, etc.

Less money would yield less of all of that, obviously.
I'm not moving the goal posts at all.

I'm simply telling you that "more money = more effort = more meaningful advancement" is absolutely not a given, on a logical front.

You need to calm down a bit.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Robceltsfan wrote:
UNC MJ FAN. wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:Here's a pretty graph to look at if any of my numbers or words confused you.
What you fail to realize is that as technology improves objectives like complex space missions become more efficient requiring less budget. The spike in this graph occurred in the 50s and 60s at the space program's infancy stages and beginning. Hearts minds and money were poured in to defeat Russia's and other international space programs.

For example, as this concept, well, it may confuse you. But it costs less today by today's capital standards to build a Kia sorento than it did in the 70s to build a Ford T bird although the Kia would have more horsepower compared to a 70s engine.

#Throbbed!
So what's for lunch today, Abdul?
You call yourself an american but you don't know jack shit about your own nation's history and space programs.

Tuna.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:Rob is correct in that we are at baby step level of space travel.
We are at the equivalent of a canoe if you compare water travel to space travel.
In just 66 years we went from Kitty Hawk to the moon.
Who knows what discoveries are around the corner.
Except in the past 50 years we have done WORSE than going to the moon as far as manned space travel is concerned.
Except that manned space travel isn’t that practical at this stage due to massive distances and time required.
Traveling across the Atlantic or Pacific wasn’t that practical in the canoe days either (although those Polynesians were mother fuckers.)
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Shill Jackson wrote:
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:Rob is correct in that we are at baby step level of space travel.
We are at the equivalent of a canoe if you compare water travel to space travel.
In just 66 years we went from Kitty Hawk to the moon.
Who knows what discoveries are around the corner.
Except in the past 50 years we have done WORSE than going to the moon as far as manned space travel is concerned.
Except that manned space travel isn’t that practical at this stage due to massive distances and time required.
Traveling across the Atlantic or Pacific wasn’t that practical in the canoe days either (although those Polynesians were mother fuckers.)
So you're agreeing with my original premise ITT?
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
No, you are talking about manned space travel, robots are the future.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Shill Jackson wrote:
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote: Except that manned space travel isn’t that practical at this stage due to massive distances and time required.
We're over here talking about habitable planets and you're mumbling about robots.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
We're over here talking about habitable planets and you're mumbling about robots.
and the first visitor to another planet wasn’t a human, it was a robot
--Henry Rollins

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Anyone read anything about von Neumann probes?

If you’re unfamiliar the idea is to take probes capable of mining raw material that can then use these resources to self-replicate many times, and those in turn will go to different areas and repeat the process. In theory if this could be done the Milky Way could almost be entirely seeded by these probes in about half a million years (lol), assuming normal propulsion systems are used (no light speed).
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

LNS wrote:Anyone read anything about von Neumann probes?

If you’re unfamiliar the idea is to take probes capable of mining raw material that can then use these resources to self-replicate many times, and those in turn will go to different areas and repeat the process. In theory if this could be done the Milky Way could almost be entirely seeded by these probes in about half a million years (lol), assuming normal propulsion systems are used (no light speed).
phpBB [video]
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

LNS wrote:Anyone read anything about von Neumann probes?

--Henry Rollins

PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Shill Jackson wrote:
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote: Except that manned space travel isn’t that practical at this stage due to massive distances and time required.
I can't stress this enough, that thing is an early Skynet model and those machines need to be destroyed before they gain true consciousness.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

PhutureDynasty wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:
I can't stress this enough, that thing is an early Skynet model and those machines need to be destroyed before they gain true consciousness.

According to Elon, we’re right around the corner from that, and there isn’t a soul on Earth capable of stopping it.

:noah:
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

lettherebehouse wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote: No, you are talking about manned space travel, robots are the future.

According to Elon, we’re right around the corner from that, and there isn’t a soul on Earth capable of stopping it.

:noah:
That Rogan podcast was legit...

lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

lol