Better player - Dirk or Barkley?

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Re: Better player - Dirk or Barkley?

Post by Bush4Ever. »

LNS wrote:
Kinda shows you how cream puff soft players back then were then IMO. Those dudes all joined the league at 21-22 years old, not 18-19. And those BANS were considered “fairly advanced”?

:booker:
:roflhahaha:

:asskicking:
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Robceltsfan wrote:

The year before they joined in Houston all 3 were all-stars.....Barkley and Hakeem were All-NBA.....and Hakeem was All-defense. Drexler was coming off a 19/7/6 season. They were 33, 33 & 34.

The Celtics Big 3, comparatively, were 30, 32 & 32 when they won their title.
The Rockets were meaningfully less skilled defensively (10th in the league), and had relatively little in the cupboard beyond those big three names:

Major players past the big three included 33 year old Mario Elie, 37 year old Eddie Johnson, and 34 year old Kevin Willis.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/te ... /1997.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think they still had talent, but I'm not sure they classify as "super-loaded". To me, they achieved roughly to their talent.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

If you guys want to play semantic games, fine I guess.

Barkley has played on much better teams than Dirk has and Dirk, has been more successful.

Can anyone even remember the 2nd best player on that Mavs team?

Jason Kidd? Terry? Marion? Hell, the way the way people talk about Barea locking down LeBron, maybe he was the 2nd best?
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Kingcarl24 wrote:If you guys want to play semantic games, fine I guess.

Barkley has played on much better teams than Dirk has and Dirk, has been more successful.

Can anyone even remember the 2nd best player on that Mavs team?

Jason Kidd? Terry? Marion? Hell, the way the way people talk about Barea locking down LeBron, maybe he was the 2nd best?
Dirk shot 41.6 percent in the 2011 NBA Finals.

Barkley shot 47.6 percent in the 1993 NBA Finals. Even had a slightly higher TS% (in an era less devoted to shooting to boot).

13 rebounds a game versus 9.7. 5.5 assists a game versus 2.0

I don't think we are talking about two different tiers of player, especially when you dig through playoff performances, where they both shined, even by superstar standards.

Edit: Basically, I think we are talking about a photo-finish in terms of who played the game of basketball better and who pushed the needle more towards winning. They each have advantages over the other. I would probably take Dirk, but it's close.
Last edited by Bush4Ever. on Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

Terry was the 2nd best scorer, but they had a bunch of guys that were good at a lot of areas

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Dirk is a guy I'm a lot lower on than I used to be.

One of the best shooters and developed a post game in the second half of his career. But was a poor defender and playmaker, and not an all-time rebounder to make up for it.

I mean not many players are above-average or great in every regard, but to have that many holes is problematic for a top 12-15 ranking IMO.