Players who retired one year too early? One year too late? Perfect timing?

Talk about anything here.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Players who retired one year too early? One year too late? Perfect timing?

Post by FPL »

One year too early: Wilt Chamberlain (had one good year left, though a lot of this was complications with the Lakers/ABA)

One year too late: Larry Bird (was awful in that last playoffs)

Perfect timing: David Robinson (retired with his second ring)

You can do other sports too, just wanted to kick it off.
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Re: Players who retired one year too early? One year too late? Perfect timing?

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

jordan's first and second retirement.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Wade felt like a year (maybe 2 years) early. He really showed he can still provide scoring off the bench.

The inverse I'd say is Dirk who retired a year too late with Dallas. He really looked cooked last season.

Perfect timing would be Duncan. I feel like he showed signs of aging towards the end but was never a complete stiff either. Retired right before he swung over to the Dirk side.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

One year early: Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird

Perfect timing: Jordan’s second retirement, David Robinson

One year too late: Hakeem Olajuwon, Karl Malone, Kareem
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

One year too early: Malone
One year too late: Kobe
Perfect timing: Dick Bavetta
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

For football I'd say at least a year or way more too early is Barry and Calvin. Don't want to include Luck because clearly he was physically and mentally taxed so although age-wise it seems premature, it makes sense.

A year too late is Peyton Manning. Dude was cooked that last year and Von Miller and that defense dragged him kicking and screaming to a SB win.

Perfect timing was Elway. Pretty simple.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I'll try MMA. I'll use about 2-3 fights as a year's worth of work (estimated):

Early: GSP (first retirement). Complicated by PED and testing issues and some injuries, but he retired on top and without *massive* slippage and major diminished skill.

Correct: Chael Sonnen. The twilight of his career was aided by facing faded legends, but it was fairly obvious in the Machida fight that he was starting to majorly lose movement and explosive ability. And obvious from the Fedor fight and parts of the Wanderlei fight that his ability to take a punch was diminished.

Late: Tons and tons sadly. Sakuraba is probably a good example, although it was for financial reasons. Actually retirement was probably several years overdue.
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

Too early: The Rock, Aj Lee
Too late: Ric Flair, John Cena,
Correct: Bruno Samartino, May Young
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

1 year too early - Tiki Barber. Retires in 06; Giants win super bowl in 07.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Roger Clemens too early. Could have gone another few years in the NL.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Bush4Ever. wrote:I'll try MMA. I'll use about 2-3 fights as a year's worth of work (estimated):

Early: GSP (first retirement). Complicated by PED and testing issues and some injuries, but he retired on top and without *massive* slippage and major diminished skill.

Correct: Chael Sonnen. The twilight of his career was aided by facing faded legends, but it was fairly obvious in the Machida fight that he was starting to majorly lose movement and explosive ability. And obvious from the Fedor fight and parts of the Wanderlei fight that his ability to take a punch was diminished.

Late: Tons and tons sadly. Sakuraba is probably a good example, although it was for financial reasons. Actually retirement was probably several years overdue.
Agreed. Late could also be BJ but he hasn't even retired yet...
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

Too late Johnny Unitas
Too early Jim Brown
Perfect timing Ray Lewis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

Bush4Ever. wrote:I'll try MMA. I'll use about 2-3 fights as a year's worth of work (estimated):

How bout BJ for “too late”? He built such a brand for himself, but when I think of him in the ring (octogon-cage) now all I can see is him being outdonged by Frankie Edgar in one of their latter matches, then going in and out of retirement to get smacked up by several no name guys in at least his last 4 matches.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

PhutureDynasty wrote:

Haha my bad
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Kobeunderbite wrote:Roger Clemens too early. Could have gone another few years in the NL.
Too late: Jose Fernandez
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

lettherebehouse wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:

Haha my bad
All good. No how many times I repost?

Too many.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Might as well just say Anderson Silva. I know he’s still active but whenever he retires it’ll be in the “too late” category.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Early: Len Bias
Late: Eli Manning
Perfect: John Elway
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Always thought the Spurs "big 3" and Pops should have all retired after the '14 title, riding off into the sunset with the trophy.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Football Early: Lavar Arrington (28 yrs - achilles injury)