Re: Need a bucket, who you taking?

Post by Dagger »

KD
"Immigrants - we get the job done!"

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

FWIW, using 82games conceptualization of "clutch performance" and data (if you trust it)...

Kobe had an EFG of about 39 percent:
http://www.82games.com/0506/05LAL7E.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Durant in 2014 had an EFG of about 46 percent:
http://www.82games.com/1314/13OKC11.HTM#clutch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harden last year was about 48 percent while (believably) being assisted on a fewer percentage than either Kobe or Durant:
http://www.82games.com/1718/17HOU8.HTM#clutch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I said KD in my head without looking at any data. But that's something that would be trivial to track if you had dedicated people collecting possession-based data. "Clutch performance" is something in basketball that's very vulnerable to regular cognitive biases (IMO).
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Bush4Ever. wrote:FWIW, using 82games conceptualization of "clutch performance" and data (if you trust it)...

Kobe had an EFG of about 39 percent:
http://www.82games.com/0506/05LAL7E.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Durant in 2014 had an EFG of about 46 percent:
http://www.82games.com/1314/13OKC11.HTM#clutch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harden last year was about 48 percent while (believably) being assisted on a fewer percentage than either Kobe or Durant:
http://www.82games.com/1718/17HOU8.HTM#clutch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I said KD in my head without looking at any data. But that's something that would be trivial to track if you had dedicated people collecting possession-based data. "Clutch performance" is something in basketball that's very vulnerable to regular cognitive biases (IMO).
:biggums:
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

UNC MJ FAN. wrote:
Sorry.

I'll include catchphrases like "ice in his veins", "pure assassin", "will to win", and make reference to a single clutch shot in a universe of probably several hundred games to make it more appropriate for people like you.

Did you remember that clutch shot against the Blazers from really deep? Did it with ice water in his veins, pure assassin-style. That's who I'm giving the ball to with the game on the line. A player with an alpha mentality with a will to win for days!

I just came!
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Bush4Ever. wrote:
UNC MJ FAN. wrote:
Sorry.

I'll include catchphrases like "ice in his veins", "pure assassin", "will to win", and make reference to a single clutch shot in a universe of probably several hundred games to make it more appropriate for people like you.

Did you remember that clutch shot against the Blazers from really deep? Did it with ice water in his veins, pure assassin-style. That's who I'm giving the ball to with the game on the line. A player with an alpha mentality with a will to win for days!

I just came!
:stephena:
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

I'm taking MJ or Larry Legend before any of them.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Give me Kobe Bryant, easily.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Durant
Kobe
Harden
Iverson
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

I'm surprised by Bush's data. I guess having seen Harden in the playoffs go ice cold at the worst possible moments has me with a negative predisposition towards him in the clutch.
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:I'm surprised by Bush's data. I guess having seen Harden in the playoffs go ice cold at the worst possible moments has me with a negative predisposition towards him in the clutch.
What you are saying is his stats are bullshit amiright? :mj:
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Kobe fans never liked stats very much.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I think there is work to do in teasing apart the above data to some degree (for example, I think Kobe probably had a heavier offensive burden in 2006 than Durant or Harden in 14/18 and probably in the vicinity of Iverson 2001), but I really do believe "clutch performance" gets really, really driven by narratives to an extent beyond pretty much any aspect of basketball.

I have vague recollections of studying Kobe's "clutch performance" over his career span and IIRC, the bottom line was that it was extremely inconsistent year-over-year, and on the whole of his career more-or-less averaged out to being roughly right in the middle of the pack among his peers (that is, scoring and high-volume perimeter players).

I could be wrong about that. I don't think I'm wrong about evidence-based management being very important in these types of situations.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

As much as I favor stats and they seem to favor KD over Kobe, I legitimately want Kobe with that ball over Durant.

If KD misses and I knew Kobe was available, I'd feel worse than if Kobe missed and KD was available.

Besides, KD hates those "Blog Boy" analytical stats anyway so he'd probably defer to Mamba, pure beta style while Kobe alphas a swoosh in over sextuple coverage.

GOAT

In all seriousness though, I still like Kobe. Statistics might say otherwise and I can't really explain why I want Kobe over KD other than I just do.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Pains me to say it but I’d probably go with Kobe. KD did nothing but choke in the playoffs as the man with the Thunder.

‘06 Kobe was putting in work and hit that game winner against Phoenix. Too bad Tim Thomas cucked him out of getting out of the first round.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Do I need a two or a three?

One note with Harden (who I am high on) - he is a great shotmaker but his efficiency belies how he will performance in the clutch. If it's a game-winner/game-tying shot, refs will swallow their whistles.