Republicans retain control of the Senate!

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Re: Republicans retain control of the Senate!

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Beware the blue drip!

-MCS
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

So both sides are claiming a resounding victory after last night?

Perfect for message board fodder, I guess.
Last edited by AbeVigodaLive on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

Typically a President suffers big losses in both the House and the Senate in their first mid-term election. I know politics is new for a lot of people but that is the expectation. A narrow loss in the house and gains in the Senate are very good outcomes. Blue trickle lol!

Nothing the House does matters if it can’t get past the Senate. Even if it did, the President has veto power. Means no shitty new laws, and the President can continue cleaning up the government through cabinet and judicial appointments, which have nothing to do with the House. RINOs gone, and the left with a meaningless “win.”

A good result overall.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:So both sides are claiming a resounding victory after last night?

Are you overcome by the sheer majesty and raw power of the blue drip from last night?
ripper76

Post by ripper76 »

Minnesota has a new Somali congresswoman (who married her brother, which is good because all cultures are equal.)

Very exciting, and certainly a big win for some!

:trumphuh:
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Claiming this as a "blue wave" is beyond stupid.
Since 1862, the president’s party on average loses 32 House seats and more than two Senate seats in a midterm.
The Democrats lost SIXTY-THREE seats in the House during Obama's first midterm. Trump only lost ~27 seats in his first midterm, below the historical average and almost a third of what Obama lost.

GOP also gained 2 seats in the Senate cementing judiciary confirmation power.

This is more like a blue mist.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:Claiming this as a "blue wave" is beyond stupid.
Since 1862, the president’s party on average loses 32 House seats and more than two Senate seats in a midterm.
The Democrats lost SIXTY-THREE seats in the House during Obama's first midterm. Trump only lost ~27 seats in his first midterm, below the historical average and almost a third of what Obama lost.

GOP also gained 2 seats in the Senate cementing judiciary confirmation power.

This is more like a blue mist.
More like a yellow mist...

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Bush4Ever35 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:So both sides are claiming a resounding victory after last night?

Are you overcome by the sheer majesty and raw power of the blue drip from last night?

Blue Wave. Blue splash. Blue drip... Meh. They got the House. So I can see why it's considered a success on some level for that party... even though I agree with others that the Senate holds more clout.

If they didn't get the House... it would have been a huge failure for them and huge success for Trump's party.

So I guess it's sorta like an infield hit instead of the HR some were desperately hoping for... or the strikeout like others were.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

2010 Obama: -63
1994 Clinton: -52
1958: Eisenhower: -48
1974 Ford (Nixon): -48
1966 Johnson: -47
1946 Truman: -45
2006 Bush: -30
1950 Truman: -29
1982 Reagan: -26
2018 Trump: -26

Plus Big Don powered up on the senate stranglehold.

Blue drip :mjlaugh:
ripper76

Post by ripper76 »

They’re now calling it a “rainbow wave” because of the “diverse” new congresspeople.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

ripper76 wrote:They’re now calling it a “rainbow wave” because of the “diverse” new congresspeople.
:blockhead:
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
ripper76

Post by ripper76 »

AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

ripper76 wrote:They’re now calling it a “rainbow wave” because of the “diverse” new congresspeople.

Scout
Rookie

Post by Scout »

ripper76 wrote:Typically a President suffers big losses in both the House and the Senate in their first mid-term election. I know politics is new for a lot of people but that is the expectation. A narrow loss in the house and gains in the Senate are very good outcomes. Blue trickle lol!

Nothing the House does matters if it can’t get past the Senate. Even if it did, the President has veto power. Means no shitty new laws, and the President can continue cleaning up the government through cabinet and judicial appointments, which have nothing to do with the House. RINOs gone, and the left with a meaningless “win.”

A good result overall.
This whole thing is very just a massive oversimplication to fit the narratives you like best. Repubs had a historically unprecedented advantage in this election due to gerrymandering and a historically favorable senate map, but squandered it and now have to compromise with Dems on legislation.

Repubs will have a strong presence in the Senate for a while and there isn't much that can be done about it since they benefit massively from it's structure.

Losing all the suburbs in a massive turnout for the Dems during a midterm is not a good sign for Trump's reelection bid though.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

Scout wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote:
Scout wrote:This is an incredible case study on delusion in the GOP constituency

Was it the "bluewave" you guys predicted or not?

:noidea:

:mjlaugh:
Um yeah. Significant margin in the popular vote, so much so that it was able to overcome gerrymandering and take the house by a healty margin. The suburbs turned on Trump in heavy waves and Dems got good turnout in a midterm year which has basically never happened before. Setting modern turnout records.

This was a massive rebuke of Trump. If he was up for the Presidency this year, he would have lost due to the rust belt states turning on him.

Biggest move of the night might be 1.5 million people gaining the right to vote in Florida though. 20% of the black population of Florida just gained the right to vote. Not a good sign for Trump as the races this year were as toss up as a toss up could be.

Wait hol'up, so by all the bluewave talk the last 24 months, what you really meant was Democrats will almost win some races while only taking the "lower chamber" of congress? I'm not trying to be a dick about this, but speaking of delusion, have you ever taken a moment to look inward at the mental gymnastics you guys have to go through to convince yourself Trump isn't YOUR president?

"The biggest win of the night was a block of ghetto-nigs in Florida who will vote against Trump 2 years from now"

Woe

:kobeyuck:
Scout
Rookie

Post by Scout »

lettherebehouse wrote:
Scout wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote:

Was it the "bluewave" you guys predicted or not?

:noidea:

:mjlaugh:
Um yeah. Significant margin in the popular vote, so much so that it was able to overcome gerrymandering and take the house by a healty margin. The suburbs turned on Trump in heavy waves and Dems got good turnout in a midterm year which has basically never happened before. Setting modern turnout records.

This was a massive rebuke of Trump. If he was up for the Presidency this year, he would have lost due to the rust belt states turning on him.

Biggest move of the night might be 1.5 million people gaining the right to vote in Florida though. 20% of the black population of Florida just gained the right to vote. Not a good sign for Trump as the races this year were as toss up as a toss up could be.

Wait hol'up, so by all the bluewave talk the last 24 months, what you really meant was Democrats will almost win some races while only taking the "lower chamber" of congress? I'm not trying to be a dick about this, but speaking of delusion, have you ever taken a moment to look inward at the mental gymnastics you guys have to go through to convince yourself Trump isn't YOUR president?

"The biggest win of the night was a block of ghetto-nigs in Florida who will vote against Trump 2 years from now"

Woe

:kobeyuck:
All the projections the entire time had the Dems having a miniscul chance at the Senate, it would have required winning a bunch of seats in Bumfuck Trump country. North Dakota, Missouri, etc. There was never a chance at winning the Senate until at earliest 2020, and that is probably a toss-up.

It requires years, massive popular blowouts, and luck for Dems to win the Senate since racist farmers get 10x the representation of normal people.

Just is it how it is. Dems are working uphill. Being significantly more popular isn't enough, you have to have insane blowouts to win full control as a Dem.
ripper76

Post by ripper76 »

It’s almost as if the Senate was meant to represent the States, not the People. Must have have been a mistake. Mob rule is clearly preferable.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Does this guy take time to breathe (through his mouth, obviously) while blinking back tears and copy-pasting these Reddit talking points? I laughed loudest when he put the Senate in play for Democux in 2020, but I was chortling all the way through.

So the blue wave was stifled by gerrymanderring? And this massive rebuke of Trump went off to the tune of -30 house seats and a Senate gain? And some nigs in Florida from already blue areas will win the presidency for Pocahontas?

:arodlaugh:
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

phpBB [video]
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**