Hope Solo: Youth soccer in United States has become 'rich, white kid sport'

Talk about anything here.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Hope Solo: Youth soccer in United States has become 'rich, white kid sport'

Post by elartman1973 »

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news ... zkvfr5hiyc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

LookAway
All-Time Great

Re: Hope Solo: Youth soccer in United States has become 'rich, white kid sport'

Post by LookAway »

True
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Thanks Trump for making everybody rich.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

This is probably true. If we got our best athletes to play, I imagine our team would be significantly better. I don't know what our ceiling would be though, since from my understanding we don't have the infrastructure (in terms of youth academies, talent scouts and club teams) that a lot of other countries do. Just based on the size of our country, you'd think that if it was prioritized, we could do some damage (China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh are huge too I guess is a counterpoint, though there are differences in the populations).
griffmoney
Superstar

Post by griffmoney »

how do you need to be rich to play soccer

you can tie a ball of shirts together and kick it between 2 trash cans
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

FPL wrote:This is probably true. If we got our best athletes to play, I imagine our team would be significantly better. I don't know what our ceiling would be though, since from my understanding we don't have the infrastructure (in terms of youth academies, talent scouts and club teams) that a lot of other countries do. Just based on the size of our country, you'd think that if it was prioritized, we could do some damage (China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh are huge too I guess is a counterpoint, though there are differences in the populations).
Problem is not necessarily getting more kids to play the sport. It's more about maximizing the ones who are already in it with better youth coaching/scouting. Even as the #4 sport in this country (330 million people), US soccer still has more raw materials to work with than say, Croatia (4 million people) who could make this year's quarterfinal, while also producing a ton of talent in basketball, tennis and Olympic sports with that tiny population.

A lot of poorer kids have to drop out of the sport in their early teens because they can't afford travel/club ball, while the richer kids are the ones who move on to play for these exclusive travel teams. If you're playing HS soccer but not for one of these expensive travel teams, you're never going to get noticed. Pay-to-play is a problem across almost every youth sport these days because of earlier specialization. Just that the negative consequences are more noticeable in a sport where you're competing with 200+ other countries as opposed to just a dozen countries (baseball) or a relatively newer global sport that didn't become popular around the world until the 1990s and 2000s (basketball).
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
Chooch
Legend

Post by Chooch »

Its always been a rich white sport.

These users thanked the author Chooch for the post:
Da Stars.
Rating: 3.85%
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

It doesn't really make sense to me. All you need is a pair of shoes and a ball. It's inexpensive compared to many sports. Hockey is extremely expensive, football is expensive, but soccer?
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:It doesn't really make sense to me. All you need is a pair of shoes and a ball. It's inexpensive compared to many sports. Hockey is extremely expensive, football is expensive, but soccer?

PUck you. LOL. I was going to post the same thing. :D :suds:
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:It doesn't really make sense to me. All you need is a pair of shoes and a ball. It's inexpensive compared to many sports. Hockey is extremely expensive, football is expensive, but soccer?
Talking organized soccer....yeah its cheap but those kids aren't playing in the school leagues

Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

elartman1973 wrote:
Talking organized soccer....yeah its cheap but those kids aren't playing in the school leagues
Really, most of those kids play soccer for the Junior Highs and High Schools at a very high level. These kids that play at that level are usually the kids that go to Soccer camp, or a summer league. The good ones most likely play soccer 12 months a year, including school leagues.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Da Stars. wrote:
elartman1973 wrote:
Really, most of those kids play soccer for the Junior Highs and High Schools at a very high level. These kids that play at that level are usually the kids that go to Soccer camp, or a summer league. The good ones most likely play soccer 12 months a year, including school leagues.
How come the brown kids don't escalate to pro USA?

FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Artman do you watch soccer? What's your favorite club and national team to watch?
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

elmerjfudd wrote:

Wow. That's kind of sad. It just shouldn't be that expensive. I get hockey. Maintaining ice rinks is expensive. Good skates, sticks and pads are expensive. There's no good reason for soccer to be priced out of even poor peoples' families.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

I believe it's the travel costs, more so than equipment?
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:

Wow. That's kind of sad. It just shouldn't be that expensive. I get hockey. Maintaining ice rinks is expensive. Good skates, sticks and pads are expensive. There's no good reason for soccer to be priced out of even poor peoples' families.
If you're a promising football prospect playing HS football, you'll eventually get discovered by scouts/coaches. If you're a promising soccer prospect playing HS soccer, you're going to slip through the cracks if you're not playing for one of these expensive youth club teams. The kids playing on these clubs are not necessarily the most skilled or promising. They're just the ones who can afford it.

The US Latino population is larger than the entire countries of Spain and Argentina, and you have a lot to work with if you can fully tap into this population (plus working class people of other demos). But the way the US scouts/develops players in the crucial age range of 14-21 is so drastically different from how the elite countries do it, that it will take significant overhaul for any noticeable progress to happen. Similar situation has infiltrated baseball in this country: both *should* be blue-collar/working-class sports but the cost to play on these travel teams is a huge obstacle if your family is not as well off.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

you have the poorest countries in the world being the best soccer players. liberal logic is cancerous.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

The real problem is soccer is boring as fuck
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

LNS wrote:The real problem is soccer is boring as fuck
no is not you faggot. NFL is similar to soccer.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)