AngerGeneral Grammar Lesson

Talk about anything here.
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Re: AngerGeneral Grammar Lesson

Post by TheSaboteur »

Robceltsfan wrote:"The objection to the adverb "real" is that it is informal, and better suited to speech than to writing. Some have gone so far as to object to "real" as an adverb entirely. This is one of those nineteenth-century grammatical shibboleths that is largely ignored in practice, and rightly. True, the adverbial "real" is perceived—by some—as less formal than "really," but it is not incorrect. It has a long history of usage, both spoken and written, and is perfectly standard English.

"Real," as an adverb, is a simple amplifier, similar to "very." The adverb "really" is more nuanced; it might mean "very" (he is really angry) or it might mean "actually" (he is really angry). In general, however, "really" is more often used to mean "actually" than "very." Whether "real" is the appropriate adverb depends on the intended meaning."

https://painintheenglish.com/case/4398/
You realize that's just one random guy's comment, right?
Image Vaccines Image

Cannot redeclare utf8_encode
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Not gonna lie...

... I'm tempted to go back in my posting history to see if I've made this mistake.

[Note: Too many posts though...]
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

TheSaboteur wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:"The objection to the adverb "real" is that it is informal, and better suited to speech than to writing. Some have gone so far as to object to "real" as an adverb entirely. This is one of those nineteenth-century grammatical shibboleths that is largely ignored in practice, and rightly. True, the adverbial "real" is perceived—by some—as less formal than "really," but it is not incorrect. It has a long history of usage, both spoken and written, and is perfectly standard English.

"Real," as an adverb, is a simple amplifier, similar to "very." The adverb "really" is more nuanced; it might mean "very" (he is really angry) or it might mean "actually" (he is really angry). In general, however, "really" is more often used to mean "actually" than "very." Whether "real" is the appropriate adverb depends on the intended meaning."

Really?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
LACANO
Lord Savior

Post by LACANO »

TheSaboteur wrote:

Trump voters aren't known for vigorous research methods.
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Not gonna lie...

... I'm tempted to go back in my posting history to see if I've made this mistake.

There are some posters here who do it a lot, but I can't really remember anything specific from you. You've probably done it though, as most people who use the word "buddy" a lot tend to make this mistake, and it just screams Midwestern rube. "Last summer, me and my buddies rented a speedboat, and man, we were going real fast one time..."
Image Vaccines Image

AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

TheSaboteur wrote:

There are some posters here who do it a lot, but I can't really remember anything specific from you. You've probably done it though, as most people who use the word "buddy" a lot tend to make this mistake, and it just screams Midwestern rube. "Last summer, me and my buddies rented a speedboat, and man, we were going real fast one time..."

LMBAO at this "coastal elite" thinking Midwesterners have to RENT a boat?

Real talk... that's real stupid.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

LACANO wrote:
TheSaboteur wrote:

Yeah....but Hillary voters aren't known for winning.

:trump:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
TheSaboteur wrote:

LMBAO at this "coastal elite" thinking Midwesterners have to RENT a boat?

Real talk... that's real stupid.
I guess. I wanted to use "me and my buddies" instead of my "one of my buddies has a boat", and that was the first thing that came to mind.
Image Vaccines Image

kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

What are my most common grammar mistakes?
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

Kobeunderbite wrote:What are my most common grammar mistakes?
Nothing that stands out to me, but I'm not an expert.
Image Vaccines Image

lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

An extroverted Saboteur is good for this board. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

I was about to give Sab shit for that whole Midwestern rube jab until I looked through my post history. :L
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87236&p=1265487&hilit=real#p1265478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd just like the AG community to know that I plan to dedicate myself to never making this mistake again for the rest of my AG career and if anybody catches me committing this heinous act again they have 1 week of gaskill15's avatar control at their disposal.
LACANO
Lord Savior

Post by LACANO »

Robceltsfan wrote:
LACANO wrote:
TheSaboteur wrote: You realize that's just one random guy's comment, right?
Yeah....but Hillary voters aren't known for winning.

:cheetah: @ me
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Things just got real really fast.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Rob totally obliterated Sabs ITT. Yikes....
Minkerton
Rookie

Post by Minkerton »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:Rob totally obliterated Sabs ITT. Yikes....
How dumb are you?
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

This is what a Saboteur thread looks like?

:haha2:
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

LakersNeedShaq wrote:This is what a Saboteur thread looks like?

This place is poppin

:pop2:
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

LOL. I like fluked freshman comp twice. :lol: :suds:
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

LakersNeedShaq wrote:This is what a Saboteur thread looks like?

What does a LNS thread look like?

"I love acting like a tough guy and scrapping with you guys on here since I'm really just a chill guy at home. I really mean it lol. By the way, check out this new calf tattoo I just got. It's of a heart being punctured by nail wrapped in a thorny branch. CUCKS! You guys are CUCKS!"
Image Vaccines Image