Talk about anything here.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Re: Reggie Miller was terribly overrated

Post by Robceltsfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
I never claimed they weren't. I'm only adding a very important player that Reggie Miller played with that you missed. And Jermaine O'Neal was a 20/10 guy at the tail end of Miller's career on some solid Pacers teams. (Sadly, they were arguably the league's best team in Miller's final season until the disaster in Detroit ruined everything.)
I can agree with all that. I liked Reggie. I actually used to get nicknamed Reggie on the basketball court because I had an ugly ass jumper that had a tendency to make it's way through the net. I enjoyed watching him play and wish he could have had some better teams around him.

Yeah. He was a good player. And his ability to raise his game in the playoffs several times should never be dismissed. But he was a bit one-dimensional. And he did have some very good rosters built around him. In the end, however, I don't think he was "best player on the best team" material.

To be honest, Reggie would have made an outstanding #2 player on a championship team. Reggie with one of the premier centers at that time would have been devastating. Can you imagine him dumping the ball inside to Shaq, the defense crashing, and Reggie raining open 3's on the pop out? If Reggie somehow could have made his way onto Shaq/Patrick/Hakeem/DR's teams it would have been tough to beat.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

It would have been fun to watch.
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

The Pacers were a laughingstock until Reggie came into his own. With him there, they became a perennial playoff contender and were a hair's breadth from knocking off the Jordan Bulls at the height of their power. It wasn't all Reggie of course, but he was the undisputed face and leader of the franchise. So I guess it depends on what you consider overrated in comparison to how he's rated. At the very least, "terribly" overrated seems to be pushing it.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

I don't know where he should be rated or if he is overrated but only in a parallel universe would he be rated over Ray Allen.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

I'll take Ray Allen